Dell SVR4 on non-Dell hardware?

James Van Artsdalen james at bigtex.cactus.org
Sat Feb 2 04:04:58 AEST 1991

In <14656 at uudell.dell.com>, sblair at upurbmw.dell.com (Steve Blair) wrote:

> 4) Video Controllers: VGA -- DELL/Paradise VGA(640x480)
> 			GPX -- DELL GPX card(1024x768)

To be more specific, for regular console usage (non-X),

1. the 8 and 16 bit Paradise PVGA1A boards are supported,
2. the Video-7 16 bit board is supported,
3. the Sigma Legend and STB Powergraph ET-4000 boards are supported,
4. the 90c11 in the builtin configuration on our products is supported.
   This should be close enough to any add-on 90c11 product for it to
   work in text mode, but I haven't actually seen it yet.

For X, the list is currently narrower, with the exception that the GPX
is supported.

> 5) Memory:  A good recommendation is a *MINIMUM* of 4Mb's
> 	*for non X Windows based users*
> 	*FOR X WINDOWS USERS -- 8Mb's or *more*(!!!)*

Quick correction: the global minimum, I believe, is 8meg.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen          james at bigtex.cactus.org   "Live Free or Die"
Dell Computer Co    9505 Arboretum Blvd Austin TX 78759         512-338-8789