SECURITY BUG IN INTERACTIVE UNIX SYSV386

Chip Rosenthal chip at chinacat.Unicom.COM
Thu Feb 14 17:13:15 AEST 1991

<<< extreme heresy alert >>>

In article <6913 at rsiatl.Dixie.Com> jgd at Dixie.Com (John G. DeArmond) writes:
>I say "THANK YOU" to all the people involved.  The system of free flowing
>information work again.

John - let me take this a step further.  I'm concerned about the bug, but
there are other things which worry me more.  Granted, this is a horrendous
problem.  But it is one of a transient nature.  It will get fixed, and
it will get fixed fairly quickly.

What bothers me is the total, absolute breakdown of the ISC support
mechanism.  Bug reporting through whistleblowing is not acceptable.  It
troubles me deeply that the entire world has to be rallied to get a bug
fixed.  Furthermore, if the ISC support mechanism is incapable of handling
a bug of this magnitude, I shudder to think how the 99.999% bugs of lesser
severity are handled.

There is a technical issue which must be addressed, and must be addressed
fast.  Beyond that, there exists a management issue of a very troubling
nature.  ISC owes its users a fix.  More importantly, ISC owes its users
some corrective action.  ISC's support is broken and needs to be fixed.
I hope when the bug fix is released, we are also provided a corrective
action plan by which ISC will fix its support.

Currently, Unicom Systems uses one vendor's 3.2 UNIX on 386 boxen.  Over
the next few months, we will be sorting out our strategy towards a next
generation UNIX.  I hate to sound cavalier about this problem, but the
existence of this bug is not a knockout blow for my evaluations.  The
fact that ISC's support mechanism has broken down is a knockout.  And I
can't help but feel there are other folks out there trying to figure out
what comes after 3.2.

Oh...and to the person who dragged C2 into this.  The access requirements
of C2 would not prevent this problem - although they might restrict what
you can do once you've got your UID of zero.  Unfortunately, these
restrictions also apply if you get a UID of zero through legitimate means,
e.g. `su'.  That is the Secureware stuff SCO shoves down your throat and
ISC offers as an option would pass on the same damn inconveniences no
matter how you get your UID of zero - legitimately or otherwise.  C2
certifiabilty is no panacea.  In fact, even with SCO's Secureware, you
can get root access in 8 seconds if you drop the `mesg n' from /.profile.
Secureware doesn't help the fact that remote.unknown is distributed with
the wrong permissions, thus allowing unknown systems uucp access.  And
if you fix this, you still won't get the breakins logged unless you go
fixing logfile permissions.  If UNIX is broken, no amount of C2 cruft is
going to fix it.

--
Chip Rosenthal  512-482-8260  |
Unicom Systems Development    |    I saw Elvis in my wtmp file.