SysVR4, GNU Emacs 18.57 - Problems running with X11R3, suggestions?

Brian Dean brian at cs.wvu.wvnet.edu
Tue Feb 26 01:02:04 AEST 1991

I have recently installed Intel SVR4 Version 2.0 on an i486 based
machine.  I am having difficulty getting GNU Emacs version 18.57 to
operate correctly under the Intel-supplied X11R3.

Emacs seems to compile OK (a few minor changes were required and the
compile produced lots of warnings).

After the build is complete and temacs and xemacs are produced, invoking
either of these under X produces the following error message:

XIO:  fatal IO error 14 (Bad address) on X server "unix:0.0"
      after 51 requests (18 known processed) with 0 events remaining

That is the message produced by the first invocation.  Subsequent
invocations produce:

Fatal X-windows I/O error:  Bad Address

Except with Emacs, X appears to work OK, at least with the contributed
X software which came with the OS.

As an aside, could someone tell me how to invoke X so that it comes up
in a video mode other than its default?  Right now it comes up in a
mode that uses only 16 colors and I would like the ability to have
more colors (possibly at the expense of screen resolution).  My
adapter is cabable of super-vga (1024x768x256) but I think the driver
supplied by Intel will go to a maximum of EVGA.

Any help will be much appreciated.