Sys V386 binaries working under SCO Xenix 2.3.2 ???

Ben Taylor bent at lccinc.UUCP
Tue Feb 12 13:16:48 AEST 1991

Hello world,

  In my quest for software my the machines I administer, I have seen some
  really nice software come and go.  However, this one really takes the
  cake.  Someone posted the sysv386 binaries of groff (for Interactive
  I believe.)  Since I spend maybe 5% of my time on an ISC box, and the
  rest under SCO Xenix, I thought that a ISC binary distribution would
  make life easier.  Groff for ISC is well done.  However, much to my
  amazement, it works under SCO Xenix as well.  File says the binaries
  are 386 Coff format.  I wasn't aware that Unix 3.2 binaries would
  run under Xenix.  I knew they would go the other way tho?  Any one
  care to comment on this.  Maybe this is an isolated incident, however
  if it is the case, I wonder what kind of limitations would hold for
  V3.2 binaries on Xenix.  I suspect any kind of software using
  shared libraries, and specific V3.2 kernel calls would be an exception.

Ben Taylor
Systems Administrator
LCC Incorporated
uunet!lccinc!bent

"If Unix is in California, where is Xenix?"