man replacement for SCO Unix & whatis/apropos for System V.3

David Mosberger david at glance.ch
Sun Feb 10 07:49:18 AEST 1991

I have written a simple script file to replace `man.' It combines the
features of SCO Unix's and Ultrix's (BSD derived systems resp.) man.
A list of the features

	- supports MANPATH & index files
	- can handle SCO-style as well as BSD-style man-directories
	  (i.e., it is possible to share man-pages between BSD and
	   SCO systems)
	- implements `whatis' & `apropos' on SysV.3 systems
	- does not break when accessing files on an nfs mounted
	  BSD file system (like SCO's man...)

The price you pay for these features is that it is a bit slower than the
native versions of `man.'
I have tested the Bourne script file on both SCO and Ultrix systems.

To make the `apropos' and `whereis' commands more useful on SysV.3 systems,
I also wrote a simple perl-script generating a `whatis'-database out of
formatted manual-pages.

If anybody is interested, I could post it to some newsgroup
(comp.unix.sources?). The `source' it only about 7K.

	--dave
--
David Mosberger						Glance Ltd.
david at glance.ch						Gewerbestrasse 4