SECURITY BUG IN INTERACTIVE UNIX SYSV386

W.c. Rothanburg wcr at tree.metrolink.com
Thu Feb 14 12:21:38 AEST 1991

In article <6A5NSZK at dobag.in-berlin.de> lumpi at dobag.in-berlin.de (Joern Lubkoll) writes:

   marc at jahangir.UUCP (Marc Rossner) writes:

   >> In article <1991Feb11.184130.11321 at jwt.UUCP> john at jwt.UUCP (John Temples) writes:
   >> >Yikes.  This also works on ESIX-D without a coprocessor, and on ISC 2.0.2
   >> >*with* a coprocessor.  It failed on Microport 2.2 with a coprocessor.
   >> >Now, the question is, what do we do to protect ourselves in the meantime?
   >Works like a charm on ISC 2.2 with a 486 -- good thing the only people
   >over here that read this newsgroup already know the root password.
   >"Feature", indeed!  Hope ISC hears a lot about this, if anyone can ever
   >get past the 15 minutes it takes their telephone guy to locate you in his
   >files before he'll let you discuss anything real.
   Set UAREAUS and UAREARW to zero and it won't work any more !
   But this works onlu on ISC 2.2 and not on 2.02. No 2.02 system can be
   protected !

The only problem with setting UAREAUS and UAREAW to zero is you
cannot do any floating point operations without a co-processor.
(I don't have a co-processor to try it with... <sigh>)

We (at Metro Link) have found the AT&T Unix/386 appears to have the
same problem.  (I heard this second hand and don't know from whom.)

Bill

--
Who  : Metro Link, Inc.
What : X11.R4. for ISC Unix 386/ix, SCO Unix/386, and Everex ESIX
Sales: sales at metrolink.com
Email: wcr at metrolink.com
Phone: +1 305 970 7353 x927
Fax  : +1 305 970 7351