SYSV R4.0 High speed UUCP

Robert W. Withrow witr at rwwa.COM
Mon Feb 18 06:53:53 AEST 1991

In article <24318 at netcom.COM> gandrews at netcom.COM (Greg Andrews) writes:

>Also, the assertion that modem error correction "interferes" with uucp
>is probably not right.  There have been a lot of reports that error
>correction caused trouble with uucp, but just as many reports that it
>seems to work fine (my own experience).

Yes, and there is the rub.  My interpretation is that each modem
manufacturer has implemented V.42/V.42bis slightly differently (this
was the gist of a Byte review of these modems) leading to
incompatabilities.  I know for a fact that I cannot do 9600 BPS UUCP
using a Practical Periphials modem to a Telebit T2500 when using
V.42(bis) LAP-M/compression.  If I turn off the V.42/bis stuff the
transfer works OK.

The annoying thing is that you get into a p***ing match where both
modem manufacturers swear that their modem is correct and the other guy
is in the wrong.  In my case there are 6 parties involved:  1)Me,
2)Intel (for the OS), 3)UUNET (for their computer), 4)Telebit,
5)Practical Periperals, and 6)the TELCO.

And numbers 2 throug 6 have been precious little help in getting the
problem solved!
--
---
 Robert Withrow, R.W. Withrow Associates, Swampscott MA 01907 USA