My friend is having trouble with SCSI tape on ISC 2.2 - HELP!

0000-Admin0000 root at shawn.uucp
Sun Feb 17 11:27:06 AEST 1991

Here are the vital statistics:

	Running Interactive 2.2
	The computer is an XYZ brand (D-squared or something like that)
	AMI BIOS
	Adaptec 1542B Controller
	Wren V drive (which is working perfectly)
	Archive 2150S tape drive
	Both SCSI devices (disk and tape) are external to the computer
	Terminator resistors are installed in the Adaptec card and the
		tape drive (which is at the far end of the cable)

The HDD device driver is in use, and it has been configured for a SCSI
tape drive.  The device file /dev/tape is there, major number 11, minor
number 1.  When trying the command:

	tar -tvf /dev/tape

The result is:

	NOTICE: Cartridge Tape Controller Not Found
	Ct control byte = 000000fa
	tar: cannot open /dev/tape

Any ideas what is wrong?

Thanks in advance.  Given enough interest, I'll post the outcome of the
problem.

Mark Jeghers
UNIX/X11 Contractor
408/281-4823