ComputAdd's caching SCSI controller, any field experience?

Chin Fang fangchin at elaine18.stanford.edu
Fri Feb 22 10:16:35 AEST 1991

Just received a new catalog from ComputAdd, the big mail-order house in
Texas.  Inside of which I found a item which may be interesting to people
thinking about installing a SCSI caching controller in their ISA bus UNIX
boxes.

The price is not too outragerous either, something around $600.  From
the description and picture, I would infer that you can use standard one
meg SIMM for upgrading on board caching memory (to 6 megs if I remember
correctly). The caching algorithm is write back type, so an UPS is a MUST
if one cares about file system integrity.  But this type should offer
much lively write performace than their doggy ESDI caching controller, which
employs a write thru strategy.

Now anyone has got any field experience with it?  Would you please email me
or post?  I will summarize if there is enough interest.  Please indicate which
386Unix you are using.  Thanks.

Regards,

Chin Fang
Mechanical Engineering Department