Dec related product info needed

John Breeden jbreeden at netcom.COM
Sat Feb 23 04:34:34 AEST 1991

In article <15380 at uudell.dell.com> mjhammel at Kepler.dell.com (Michael J. Hammel) writes:
>Someone at work asked if I knew anything about the following.  I don't
>but thought I'd check the net for help.  Does anyone know anything about
>these products (vendor, what they are used for, etc)?
>
>        DEC Pathworks for OS/2 v1.1?
>
>        DEC Pathworks for SCO Xenix?
>
>        DEC Pathworks for Altrix? (I think this is supposed to be
>Ultrix, but I'm not sure)
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Michael J. Hammel        | mjhammel@{Kepler|socrates}.dell.com
>Dell Computer Corp.      | {73377.3467|76424.3024}@compuserve.com
>#include <disclaim/std>  | zzham at ttuvm1.bitnet | uunet!uudell!feynman!mjhammel
>#define CUTESAYING "Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way."

It's all Lan Manager over DECnet. The OS/2 and SCO products support both
Basic and User security (and I assume the Ultrix version does too). The
strangest part is Pathworks for VMS only supports User security (the old
PC Networks security), not User security (Lan Man security).

In a nutshell - Pathworks is jsut good 'ol PCSA by another name - they've
added an NDIS/DLL driver to support other vendors cards and the above servers.

There is a "gotcha" here with the DLL/NDIS driver. The NDIS MAC driver has to
support the SetStationAddress NDIS function. The DEC DLL driver goes out and
changes the card's MAC address.

--
 John Robert Breeden,
    jbreeden at netcom.com, apple!netcom!jbreeden, ATTMAIL:!jbreeden