SECURITY BUG IN INTERACTIVE UNIX SYSV386

James Van Artsdalen james at bigtex.cactus.org
Tue Feb 19 18:29:46 AEST 1991

In <1991Feb19.015227.26159 at nuchat.sccsi.com>, steve at nuchat.sccsi.com

	(Sean Eric Fagan) writes:

| you're using the emulator, you seem to have a multi-segment
| process).  Since it needs to keep the fp registers somewhere, and they
| are very much process-related, the "proper" place to keep them is in
| the u area, just like other registers.

> Unmitigated bullshit.

oh?  I see you haven't thought the problem through yet.

> The only technical justification for putting them there are
> 	1) so they get initialized at startup without additional
> 		code in exec.
> 	2) to avoid having to allocate a chunk of data space and
> 		figure out how to address it from the emulator.

Now, think about sdb, and then propose a solution.

Remember, we're not out to remove things from the u block, only to
make sure that important things aren't writable.  Those are very
different goals.

Also, remember that Sean is talking about SCO's *solution*, which
already works and is in the field.  Until yours is implemented and
working, don't be so quick to criticize.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen          james at bigtex.cactus.org   "Live Free or Die"
Dell Computer Co    9505 Arboretum Blvd Austin TX 78759         512-338-8789