Look and Feel... a red herring (Re: UNIX Expo in NYC)

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.uu.net
Mon Nov 7 08:05:30 AEST 1988

In article <742 at m10ux.UUCP>, mnc at m10ux.UUCP (Michael Condict) writes:
> Clearly, one was thinking about easing the programmer's burden and
> the other about easing the user's burden.  I see no reason not to do both.

Standardising the programmer's interface does this. It allows the Mac user,
used to the way the Mac works, to purchase software that operates under the
Mac paradigm. The Sun user purchases the same software and it works under
the SunWindows paradigm. He doesn't care that the guy down the hall with
the Mac and its wimpy one-button mouse has a slightly different program, and
the Mac user definitely doesn't want to waste time trying to keep track of all
those buttons and magic areas.

> Following this analogy, the problem could be solved
> by a single, highly general "intermediate" interface, that is neither biased
> towards a particular programmer interface or towards a particular user
> interface.

This *is* a standard programmer interface.
--
Peter da Silva  `-_-'  Ferranti International Controls Corporation
"Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?"     uunet.uu.net!ficc!peter
Disclaimer: My typos are my own damn business.   peter at ficc.uu.net