what is the 'l' permission?

Dave Turner dmt at ptsfa.PacBell.COM
Sat Nov 19 12:10:56 AEST 1988

In article <71 at attibr.UUCP> rjd at attibr.UUCP (Robert J. Diamond) writes:
>When at at job is created on SVR3.x, here is the resulting files that
>are created:
>
>-r-Sr-lr--   1 root     other        571 Nov 17 18:00 595897200.a
>-r-Sr-lr--   1 root     other        865 Nov 18 09:45 595918800.a
>
>What does the 'l' mean in the group execute permission field?  I couldn't
>find it in the User Reference manual.

According to the AT&T 3B4000 & 3B15 Computer UNIX System V User's and
System Administrator's Reference Manual Section 1 (305-205),
the l in the group execution slot means that mandatory locking will
occur during access.

	"Mandatory file and record locking (l) refers to a file's
	ability to have its reading or writing permissions locked
	while a program is accessing that file. It is not possible
	to permit group execution and enable a file to be locked
	on execution at the same time."

						From chmod(1)

	"In the case of the sequence of group permissions, l may
	occupy the third position. l refers to mandatory file and
	record locking. This permission describes a file's ability
	to allow other files to lock its reading or writing permissions
	during access."

						From ls(1)

--
Dave Turner	415/542-1299	{att,bellcore,sun,ames,pyramid}!pacbell!dmt