Implications of recent virus (Trojan Horse) attack

Joseph S. D. Yao jsdy at hadron.UUCP
Wed Nov 23 01:41:41 AEST 1988

In article <452 at auspex.UUCP> guy at auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) writes:
< >Excuse ME, but the last four lines of my SunOS 4.0 distribution tape
< >password file are:
< >	+::0:0:::
< >	::0:0:::
< >	::0:0:::
< >	::0:0:::
>					    ...  All of them had
>	+:
>as the last line in the password file ...
>I tried "passwd" ...
>turned it into
>	+::0:0:::

A lot of people - and some editor programs - have the terrible habit
of leaving a blank line at the end of a file after editting it.  The
'passwd' program, at least all versions that I know of, tends to turn
this into the offending line.  This happens because getpwent() returns
a blank pwd entry, and putpwent() or the printf() used insert the
colons.  I'd suggest that all getpwent()'s skip over blank lines
completely.

	Joe Yao		jsdy at hadron.COM (not yet domainised)
	hadron!jsdy@{uunet.UU.NET,dtix.ARPA,decuac.DEC.COM}
	arinc,att,avatar,blkcat,cos,decuac,dtix,\
	ecogong,empire,gong,grebyn,inco,insight, \!hadron!jsdy
	kcwc,lepton,netex,netxcom,phw5,rlgvax,	 /
	seismo,sms,smsdpg,sundc,uunet		/