Improving password security

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at quintus.uucp
Thu Nov 24 13:04:31 AEST 1988

In article <2220 at cuuxb.ATT.COM> dlm at cuuxb.UUCP (Dennis L. Mumaugh) writes:
>After battling a recalcitrant NFS system for this last four days, this
>hits home!   You assume that
>	1). The network is working
>	2). The RPC and the TCP/UDP underneath are working
>	3). The RPC server is running and sane
>	4). The RPC data base is sane.
>All of the above would be required for one to login.

If they're not working, there isn't a lot of point in _trying_ to log in
anyway.  If the network isn't working, a disc-less node can't even boot.
If RPC isn't working, NFS isn't working, and I can't get at my files.
(Even if you particular machine has a disc, if you're on a network you
almost certainly want to get at some files which are elsewhere.  Think
about an Apollo network with NLS.)

There is no reason why a password server could not be replicated.