What reason should /dev/kmem not be world-readable?

Mark J. Hewitt mcvax!kernel.co.uk!mjh at uunet.uu.net
Sat Nov 12 07:10:35 AEST 1988

>  ...reading clists...

Int the good old days, we acheived this by adding a little code to the
tty interrupt routine - when it placed a character on the output queue,
it looked to see if there was a second tty to receive the character
(from a kernel variable poked by a runnable by root only program called
`spy'!), and stuffed it on that queue too.  This was on UNIX Ed. 6.
Later versions are a little harder because the queue is written in one
of several places (multiplexer files, line disciplines, probably
streams, etc...), but I did the same thing on a 4.2bsd system despite
this.

Mark J. Hewitt

usenet:	...!{mcvax,uunet}!ukc!kernel!mjh	JANET:	mjh at uk.co.kernel
voice:	(+44) 532 444566			other:	mjh at kernel.co.uk
fax:	(+44) 532 425456	   old style: mjh%uk.co.kernel at uk.ac.ukc
paper:	Kernel Technology Ltd, Development Centre, 46 The Calls, Leeds,
	LS2 7EY, West Yorkshire, UK