System V file systems

Gordon Cross crossgl at ingr.UUCP
Tue Nov 1 07:07:25 AEST 1988

In article <6413 at daver.UUCP>, dlr at daver.UUCP (Dave Rand) writes:
> Why is the System V.[23] file system _SO_ much slower than the
> BSD file system? On several systems I have, the disk performance
> seems dreadful. On one system, it is around 20K bytes per second.
> The best I have seen from System V is 200K per second - but the
> actual disk controller is capable of 1.5 megabytes per second!

The problem is with the file system organization itself so you will not be able
to "fix" it.  Any further explanation here would be far too lengthy but I can
direct you too an informative article on the subject:

          A Fast File System for UNIX

          Marshall Kirk McKusick, William N. Joy,
          Samuel J. Leffler, and Robert S. Fabry

          Computer Systems Research Group