Do use TAB3

Andrew Klossner andrew at frip.gwd.tek.com
Wed Nov 16 11:08:44 AEST 1988

Re gettydefs:

	"dont use TAB3, it means "expand tabs to spaces"; normally that
	would be wrong (VERY wrong sometimes) for uucp-traffic."

I disagree.  On a conventional dialup, you do want TAB3, for the case
where the user has a musty old terminal without hardwired tabs, and
there are tabs in /etc/motd.  UUCP had better be doing its own ioctls
to condition the line the way it wants.

(I'm typing this on an hp2621a, connected via a modem.  The terminal
powers up with no tab stops; they are programmed by my .cshrc, which
doesn't execute until after login prints /etc/motd.)

  -=- Andrew Klossner   (uunet!tektronix!hammer!frip!andrew)    [UUCP]
                        (andrew%frip.gwd.tek.com at relay.cs.net)  [ARPA]