Password security

Jerry Carlin jmc at ptsfa.PacBell.COM
Tue Nov 29 06:25:24 AEST 1988

In article <2349 at cbnews.ATT.COM> lvc at cbnews.ATT.COM (Lawrence V. Cipriani) writes:
>One enhacement to security I have seen on mainframes running UNIX(tm) is
>to have a "External Security Password" that is settable by the system
>administrator.

A little documented feature of V.2+ systems is a 'dial password'. Create
a file /etc/dialups (with a list of ports such as):

/dev/tty12
/dev/tty13

Create a file /etc/d_passwd:

:passwd1:
/bin/sh:passwd2:
/bin/rsh:passwd3:		(restricted shell not remote shell)
/bin/ksh:passwd4:
/bin/csh:passwd5:
/usr/lib/uucp/uucico::		(i.e., no password for uucico)

The first line is for those with nothing in field 7 of /etc/passwd (default).
This scheme gives the administrator the ability to implement a second
password on a list of ports and to make it different by 'shell' (actually
any program in field 7 of /etc/passwd).

You can generate passwords using /usr/lib/makekey (undocumented until V.3.?)
or by creating a dummy login, doing a 'passwd' and then moving the
resulting encrypted passwd to /etc/d_passwd.

Enjoy.

--
Jerry Carlin (415) 823-2441 {bellcore,sun,ames,pyramid}!pacbell!jmc
To dream the impossible dream. To fight the unbeatable foe.