System V file systems

David L. Smith dave at celerity.UUCP
Tue Nov 1 11:08:53 AEST 1988

In article <917 at vsi.COM> friedl at vsi.COM (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:
>How hard is it for an instantiation of UNIX to support multiple
>kinds of blocksizes?  I would think that keeping the blocksize in
>the superblock would make it pretty easy, so I could use 1k blocks
>for root, and (say) 8k for the /database partition with a dozen
>files all > 1MB.  Currently it seems like a big deal for them
>to come out with a new supported blocksize.

We support multiple blocks sizes on our new toy (the Model 500), ranging
from 4K to 256K (for big striped disks).  It was relatively straightforward,
except for some problems while doing development with several of the system
utilities that depend on the system blocksize for the size of their internal
buffers.  We also ferreted out quite a few "magic" blocksize numbers.