Internet Virus: SunOS patches

Tony Nardo trn at warper.jhuapl.edu
Thu Nov 10 15:35:52 AEST 1988

In article <76493 at sun.uucp> chuq at plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>Install the new fingerd as follows:
>
>	% su
>	# cp in.fingerd /usr/etc/in.fingerd.new
>	# cd /usr/etc
>	# mv in.fingerd in.fingerd.orig
>	# mv in.fingerd.new in.fingerd
>	# chown root in.fingerd
>	# chmod 755 in.fingerd

If you do this under SunOS 3.*, you will find that the *other* finger bug
(which I will happily describe to anyone who E-mails me from "root") still
exists.  Instead, try the commands

	% su
	# cp in.fingerd /usr/etc/in.fingerd.new
	# cd /usr/etc
	# mv in.fingerd in.fingerd.orig
	# mv in.fingerd.new in.fingerd
	# chown news in.fingerd
	# chgrp news in.fingerd
	# chmod 6755 in.fingerd

before rebooting.  I chose "news" as my harmless user.  You can use any
sufficiently underpowered user in its place (except "nobody", or any other
account with a negative user number).

For SunOS 4.0, you can keep the file ownership as "root".  Simply modify
"inetd.conf" to run "fingerd" from a harmless user's account (again, do not
use "nobody") rather than as "root".

							Tony Nardo

P.S.	*** DO NOT USE 'r' or 'R' to reply! ***

	Apologies to those on machines "aplcen" and below, who have now
	received this message twice.  "warper" had a slight problem in
	sending news...

ARPA:   trn%warper at aplvax.jhuapl.edu   OR   nardo%str.decnet at capsrv.jhuapl.edu
BITNET:	trn at warper.jhuapl.edu
UUCP:	{backbone!}mimsy!aplcen!aplcomm!warper!trn
USnail: c/o Johns Hopkins University/APL, Room 7-53
	Johns Hopkins Road, Laurel, Md. 20707