Need to use newgrp or equivalent

Tom Mackey tomm at voodoo.UUCP
Wed Nov 2 12:53:52 AEST 1988

I do most of my work on a SysV based system with BSD enhancements,
and need to be able to switch my gid only to another group.  I have
added my name to the list of users in the other group in /etc/group,
and even made newgrp(1m) suid to root, but I still get "sorry"
as the reply from newgrp.  It seems to me I fought this battle a few
years ago, but never found a solution before it became a non-problem.

Do any of you have any hints as to what I need to do to change my gid
to another group and back again while the rest of my environment stays
the same?

If this has been thouroughly thrashed over, I appologize... I saw
nothing of help in the last month's postings.
--
Tom Mackey                                (206) 234-7724 (wk)
Boeing Computer Services    ....uw-beaver!ssc-vax!voodoo!tomm