hosts.equiv considered harmful (was Re: bin owning files)

Henry Troup hwt at bnr-public.uucp
Sat Nov 19 01:19:32 AEST 1988

I just checked my SunOS 4.0 *distribution tape* hosts.equiv.  The
file consists of "+\n".  A quick RofTFM shows that this means
***trust everyone***  Surprise!

So- In light of the worm, and this, we should realize that out-of-the-
box systems are not well secured.

Henry Troup		utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!hwt%bnr-public | BNR is not
Bell-Northern Reseach   hwt at bnr (BITNET/NETNORTH) 	     | responsible for
Ottawa, Canada		(613) 765-2337 (Voice)		     | my opinions