The Internet Virus--A Commentary

John Moore john at anasaz.UUCP
Mon Nov 21 03:52:07 AEST 1988

In article <17592 at adm.BRL.MIL> drears at ardec.arpa (Dennis G. Rears (FSAC)) writes:
]>      I believe legislation already exist for this sort of "theift of
]>  services" i.e. I may connect an antanna to my TV that will allow me
]>  to legally view pay TV stations but if I connect a decoder, I'm in
]>  trouble since I've circumvented what was obviously a sercurity measure.
]>
]  I don't believe so.  If you get the signal over the airwaves (antenna or
]satellite reciever) that is legal.  A ruling by the Supreme Court
]states the airwaves belong to the public.  If you decode that it is
]not illegal.  However if you attach a decoder to a cable line
]or converter that is.

This is simply NOT TRUE!!! The communications act of 1934 has
provisions making it illegal to listen to "common carrier"
communications. People have been successfully prosecuted
for this (primarily in stealing HBO from microwave distribution
services). The communications act of 1986 makes it illegal to
listen to a wide range of services (for example, cellular phone,
electronic news gathering, ANY encrypted signal for which you
don't have authorization). I don't like this philosophy
(that's putting it mildly!) but it IS THE LAW.

FLAME ON!!
Don't post your views of what the law SHOULD BE as if that is what the
law IS! You may mislead people, and besides, you look sort of
silly.
FLAME OFF
--
John Moore (NJ7E)           {decvax, ncar, ihnp4}!noao!nud!anasaz!john
(602) 861-7607 (day or eve) {gatech, ames, rutgers}!ncar!...