delete permissive (Re: Nasty Security Hole?)

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Thu Nov 24 13:21:34 AEST 1988

>>In article <8927 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>>>What in the world would it MEAN?  It is the DIRECTORY that is modified
>>>by an unlink, not the inode.  Would a "delete" bit then mean that no
>>>links to the inode could be removed?  Think about the consequences for
>>>a bit.  It would be horrible!

Well, I should have known that people wouldn't think about it just
because I asked them to.

I stand by my comments.  Would it help if I offered a prize to the
first person (other than at Bell Labs) to explain what problem such
a feature would cause?

P.S.  Consider this in conjunction with my discussion of the 2-level
design of the UNIX file system.

P.P.S.  Am I really the only person who USES multiple links?