more socket stuff

Mike Smithwick mike at ames.arc.nasa.gov
Wed Nov 23 02:59:05 AEST 1988

[]

I am writing different packets of data to a socket. One write routine
just finished, and another is called via a signal handler. It dumps more
data to the socket, before the receiving task is done reading the first
packet. Whereas the receiver, designed to read up till the end of data
picks up a few bytes from the next packet getting everything out of sync.

The question is, is there a way for the writing task to check on the socket
and see if it is empty before it starts writing again? I know that a
better design would have had a byte-count precede each data packet, but
I didn't write the stuff. I would like to fix it with minimum disruption
to the other guys working on the software.

--
			   *** mike (starship janitor) smithwick ***
"Scientists say 'Saturn is so light, if you put it in a bucket of