Setting netmask

Mike Clarkson mike at istsists.ca
Mon Nov 28 15:56:33 AEST 1988

In article <17644 at adm.BRL.MIL>, VINCE%UCONNVM.BITNET at cunyvm.cuny.edu writes:
> In trying to conect our Sun network to the outside world, we have run
> into avery strange problem in trying to set the netmask.  Supposeddly
> adding the netmask option to the ifconfig command in rc.boot will do
> it.  In fact this works on the diskless clients (in fact one sees the
> comforting message "Setting the netmask" during the boot process), but
> it does not work on the file server, where the option seems to be ignored.

Perhaps people more knowledgable/intelligent than I can explain why, but
my experience was that you have to rebuild the yellow pages master database
on your server.

ypinit -m

will do it.  It seems the yellow pages stashes a copy of the netmask
in some obscure and/or undocumented fashion.  Could someone explain this
or correct me if I'm wrong?

Mike.

--
Mike Clarkson					mike at ists.UUCP
Institute for Space and Terrestrial Science	mike at ists.yorku.ca
York University, North York, Ontario,		uunet!mnetor!yunexus!ists!mike
CANADA M3J 1P3					+1 (416) 736-5611