How to stop future viruses.

peter honeyman honey at mailrus.cc.umich.edu
Fri Nov 11 15:35:45 AEST 1988

Steven M. Bellovin, my favorite coauthor, writes:
>In article <778 at mailrus.cc.umich.edu>, honey at mailrus.cc.umich.edu (peter honeyman) writes:
>> where did you store the gigabyte file?  how long did it take to
>> generate it?  (25,000 word dictionary, 4,096 salts, 11 byte output
>> each.)
>
>You don't need to use all 4096 salts; you simply need the ones used
>on the target system.  On my system, for example, that reduces the
>storage needed by a factor of about 20, which makes it easily manageable.

steve, good buddy, that's not what he said.  generating only the ones
you need is the same as generating them as you need them.  sure, you
can drag old answers around with you and such, but eventually you end
up with a gigabyte file.

hell, i don't know if this is what he did.  that's why i asked.

	peter