Process restart.

Keith Gabryelski ag at elgar.UUCP
Thu Nov 10 09:12:10 AEST 1988

[Follow up to .wizards --kmg]

In article <8831 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>In article <16 at elgar.UUCP> ag at elgar.UUCP (Keith Gabryelski) writes:
>>How does one stop a process in a way that it can be restarted after a
>>cold boot?
>
>You obviously can't,

Well, it would seem to me that it would require some kernel hacks, but
is at least feasible.

	Freeze the process.

	Save the relevent information to a file including proc entry,
	user info, file discriptor information, blah, blah, blah.

	Remove the process.

Restoring would have to take into account resources that may no longer
be availble, but it is at least doable, eh?

>in general.

What does `in general' mean?
--
ag at elgar.CTS.COM         Keith Gabryelski          ...!{ucsd, jack}!elgar!ag