Sun, sockets, and 4.3

der Mouse mouse at mcgill-vision.UUCP
Mon Nov 21 22:18:52 AEST 1988

I just finished writing an elaborate network server, which I expect to
need to restart periodically.  So I added code to it so that when
another copy is started, it attempts to "hand off" all current
connections via the AF_UNIX socket access rights mechanism.  I just got
it all to the point where it ought to work and now I find out that Sun
3.5 doesn't support passing access rights over UNIX domain sockets.
(Apparently they just couldn't be bothered, because they picked up the
IP networking code from 4.3, and the access rights mechanism really
isn't that complicated.  mutter mutter.)

So, before I start trying to twist the 4.3 code to fit into a 3.5
kernel,

1) Does anybody have any other way of passing file descriptors between
   processes?  (Must be *passing* descriptors; common ancestors passing
   descriptors down through fork() doesn't help.)

2) Does anybody have the access rights mechanism working on any Sun not
   running release 4.x?  (It does work on 4.x, but that doesn't help
   this situation any, I'm afraid.)

3) Does anybody happen to know how come Sun neglected to pick this up
   with the rest of the 4.3 networking code?

Any help at all would be much appreciated.  Mail or post, whatever you
like; as long as I see it, it doesn't matter how it gets to me.

A couple more little friendlies like this and I'll be about ready to
try porting 4.3 to the Sun.

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse at larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu