Process restart.

Keith Gabryelski ag at elgar.UUCP
Sat Nov 12 05:19:14 AEST 1988

In article <8857 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
>Only rather simple-minded uses of processes can
>be properly restarted from snapshots.

Snapshots are not the only mean of process restart, but they are the
most likely for what I was thinking.

>To take a specific example, I defy you to restart a snapshot
>of the "layers" program using any general-purpose mechanism.

I doubt a shell is something some one would want to restart (although
migrate is a different matter).  You would probably want some of the
proceses that are running under the shell, though.

Long running procesess that don't have any means of shutdown/restart
built into them are what I am thinking of.

Let's say we have this process computing prime numbers (or some other
simple case) and the system needs to be shutdown because of some fatal
error.  Can a snapshot be done?
--
ag at elgar.CTS.COM         Keith Gabryelski          ...!{ucsd, jack}!elgar!ag