Ghost file

James Logan III logan at vsedev.VSE.COM
Thu Nov 17 01:38:27 AEST 1988

In article <17529 at adm.BRL.MIL> ZAT011%DJUKFA11.BITNET at cunyvm.cuny.edu
(Thomas Heil) writes:
>I got a little problem with  a "ghost file". It appears when I  list the
>contents of  a directory, but  it can't be accessed  in any way

Have you looked to see if the filename contains control
characters?  The name might really be "filee^Hname" which would
look like "filename" in a directory listing.  To check for this,
type

	ls -bl some_directory

and see if it prints an octal code in the file name.  (BSD
systems may have a different option letter for this.)

			-Jim

Jim Logan		logan at vsedev.vse.com
(703) 892-0002		uucp:	..!uunet!vsedev!logan
			inet:	logan%vsedev.vse.com at uunet.uu.net