Internet Virus: SunOS patches

scritzifchisted ulmo qzutvchsxik ulmo at ssyx.ucsc.edu
Wed Nov 9 13:57:37 AEST 1988

I'm a totally ignorant Unix user, but there are a few common sense things
I might add to this having to do with permissions of old copies lying around,
in case you didn't remember:

In article <76493 at sun.uucp> chuq at plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>Patching sendmail:
>	2) make a copy of sendmail
>		# cd /usr/lib
>		# cp sendmail sendmail.debug

		# chmod 644 sendmail.debug
			[or something as effective]
			[use chmod 000 if you're totally paranoid]

>Installing a new fingerd:
>	% su
>	# cp in.fingerd /usr/etc/in.fingerd.new
>	# cd /usr/etc
>	# mv in.fingerd in.fingerd.orig

	# chmod 644 in.fingerd.orig

I know, this has got to be really petty.  But, now that everyone knows
how debug works, it's probably best to make sure someone doesn't use those
good old root powers for something they've been wanting to do for awhile ...
(on the most part, I guess people are pretty good about this sort of thing).

(I have no affiliation, so ignore any implied organization.)