How to stop future viruses.

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Fri Nov 11 10:16:30 AEST 1988

In article <2182 at cuuxb.ATT.COM> dlm at cuuxb.UUCP (Dennis L. Mumaugh) writes:
>As far as the ATT UNIX System V I am not authorized to comment on
>security aspects except to mention that System V Release 3.2 does
>use shadow passwords so brute force decryption is  possible  only
>through  administrator  error.

It would be a great service to the community if specifications for
this feature were posted or at least sent to developers who want
to enable a similar feature on their (typically BSD-based) systems.
For example, what is the shadow file called, what is its format,
what sort of stuff is left in the password field in /etc/passwd,
what facilities are there to validate a password against the
shadow encrypted password file?