bin owning files

Dieter Woerz woerz at iaoobelix.UUCP
Mon Nov 28 04:04:28 AEST 1988

In article <566 at comdesign.CDI.COM> pst at comdesign.cdi.com (Paul Traina) writes:
>Potential solution:
>
>	How about if we add a new 'first-character' to the password file
>	on a system.  Currently we have '*' which sort-of signifies that
>	the userid is not loginable (has no password).
>
>	Could we add something like a '%' to the beginning of a password
>	field, which would then imply that /etc/hosts.equiv should not
>	be checked for rlogin/rsh (but of course ~/.rhosts could be), and/or,
>	if a filesystem is remotely mounted,  any remote user-access comes
>	in as 'nobody' (just like root).

I would prefer to do it like (I think) RSX or VMS, which has a
configurable Parameter, which UIDs are to be treated as system. If I
remember correctly, RSX had the uids 1 to 10 be the equivalent to
system, that is if you had one of these uids, you had the same
privileges as the system account.

This would allow the system files to be owned by bin, but allow the
SA have bin to be protected by like the root account or (if he wants
to) like the account of a normal user.

Dieter Woerz
Fraunhofer Institut fuer Arbeitswirtschaft und Organisation
Abt. 453
Holzgartenstrasse 17
D-7000 Stuttgart 1
W-Germany

BITNET: iaoobel.uucp!woerz at unido.bitnet
UUCP:   ...{uunet!unido, pyramid}!iaoobel!woerz