tape management systems, backup archive

Scott Bemis seb022 at tijc02.UUCP
Thu Nov 10 06:50:36 AEST 1988

> Would anyone know if there are any tape management packages available for
> Unix. Ideally, we would like a package that was integrated with a backup and
> archiving system as well. Packages something like Rabbit for VMS or UCC1 for
> MVS would be what we are looking for.

You may want to investigate the product call Ubackup from

		Unitech Software Inc.
		1800 Alexander Bell Drive
		Suite 101
		Reston, Virginia  22091
		Telephone: (703) 264-3301

I was very pleased with this product when I evaluated it last year.  The
only reason I am not currently using it is due to a problem with
the AT&T UNIX V file system, not with the product.  With my  version
of AT&T UNIX V, the maximum logical block size is 1k in a file system.  With
this small logical block size, the disk drives could not "feed" data fast
enough to  the tape drive (the transfer rate was 30k/second and the tape drive
I have can handle about 200K/second).  A complete monthly backup of 2
gigabytes of data took over 48 hours and (18) 2400 foot tape reels.
The Ubackup product does not cosume much CPU power though.  If your version
of UNIX uses the fast file system, this product may offer the features
you need.
If there are any more questions, please contact me.

Scott Bemis     "All reasonable job offers are considered"
Texas Instruments
P. O. Drawer 1255  M/S 3517
Johnson City, TN  37605
Telephone: (615) 461-2959