fixing rm * (was: Worm/Passwords)

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at quintus.uucp
Wed Nov 23 13:25:06 AEST 1988

In article <18164 at shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> kirkaas at cs.ucla.edu (paul kirkaas) writes:
>I guess I'm a little disturbed at how easily we call others stupid
>for using harmless practices which differ from our own.

I didn't call _you_ stupid.  I called your "harmless practice" stupid.
If you are careful to confine your aliases to the C-shell, and always
write your scripts in Bourn shell, and take care never to write shell
functions that redefine standard commands, you're pretty safe.  Of
course new users would be well advised to stay away from you when they
need help, because what they see on your screen won't match what they
get, but that's no loss to you (I never said _you_ were stupid).

Aliasing standard commands is like #define if while in C.