rm etc. (was: Nasty Security Hole?)

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Tue Nov 22 19:56:05 AEST 1988

In article <480 at auspex.UUCP> guy at auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) writes:
->A utility such as "rm" COULD perform extra checks based on the inode
->permissions.  In fact the 4.nBSD "rm" does this ("override permissions
->on xxx?") and it is EXTREMELY annoying.
-So does the System V Release 3.1 one, and, if I remember correctly, so
-did the V7 and perhaps even the V6 one; one can hardly flame Berkeley
-for this one.

But I think it was Berkeley who decided to prompt with a completely
misleading question!  I've known others who disliked this.