The Internet Virus--A Commentary

Dennis G. Rears FSAC drears at ardec.arpa
Wed Nov 16 05:12:25 AEST 1988

John F. Haugh II  writes:

>Henry - [ and others ]
>
>I suspect the complaint was that not only were individuals involved [ and
>hence 'man-hours' ] but entire EDP staffs where tied up with the Internet
>virus.
>
>I will be very seriously pissed of if Wormer gets off with no jail time.

  These is no question that what the "wormer" did is wrong.  The
question is was it illegal?  I don't think so.  Most laws on the
books (federal & state) talk about destruction of data or
unauthorized access.  He did not (to my knowledge) destroy any data.
He access was authorized, implied maybe but still authorized.

	o)  sendmail -  The sendmail daemon accepted the
transmission and processed it.  Sendmail by definition allows anyone
to talk to it. How can this be considered unauthorized access?

	o) ftp -  Once again ftpd accepted it.  As far as the law is
concerned what is the difference between a "fing drears at ardec-ac9.arpa"
and what he did in the **area of authorized access**. I submit none.

	o rlogin/rsh  - It's to obvious.

   Most likely the FBI will scare him into pleading guilty to
something.  If a trial happens his defense lawyers will laugh their
way to an accquital.  The only real way to get him is through the
Civil Courts.  It's easier to prove the torts committed by him
against the systems.

   The laws need to be rewritten concerning stuff like this and I
pity the people who have to do it.

Dennis

			Dennis  Rears
ARPA:	drears at ardec-ac4.arpa	UUCP:  	...!uunet!ardec-ac4.arpa!drears
AT&T:	201-724-6639		USPS:	Box 210, Wharton, NJ 07885
Work:	SMCAR-FSS-E, Bldg 94, Picatinny Ars, NJ 07806