Ghost file

bill vermillion bill at bilver.UUCP
Sun Nov 20 15:05:37 AEST 1988

In article <169 at pinn.UUCP+ sysop at pinn.UUCP (Andy Johnson) writes:
+In article <8430 at alice.UUCP+, debra at alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra) writes:
++ In article <17529 at adm.BRL.MIL+ ZAT011%DJUKFA11.BITNET at cunyvm.cuny.edu (Thomas Heil) writes:
++ I would suspect that the name of the ghost file contains a non-printable
++ character, which doesn't show up when you try ls. A way to find out is
++ to make an octal dump of the directory.
+
+You can also type in rm -i *   That will interactively ask you to delete
+each file including the ghost file.
+
+Andy

I tried that (rm -i *) with a ghost file and it did NOT work.  Dumped the
directory and found that the file name had a printable letter, 0x08, and two
more letters.  The 0x08 (backspace) effectively masked the first letter.
rm -i *  would prompt with the name, and then give a file not found error.
The only way to get rid of one of those is to kill with the
find . -inum   etc, etc  routine posted earlier.

I also replied earlier, and had a great mistake in my reply.  I killed it soon
after, but it did get out, so I apologize for typing off the top of my head
earlier (if any of you saw that reply).

--
Bill Vermillion - UUCP: {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!rtmvax!bilver!bill
                      : bill at bilver.UUCP