Mounting floppies

Stefan Stapelberg stefan at mikros.systemware.de
Tue Nov 29 20:10:52 AEST 1988

In article <5682 at louie.udel.EDU> law at udel.EDU (Jeff Law) writes:
>suid programs are not the only problem with allowing users to mount floppies,
>what is going to stop me from putting my floppy in the drive and saying
>mount /dev/floppy /etc

I think, it is just that easy to write a small C program which checks
wether the user doing the mount is the owner of the mounting point.

BTW: You not only have to look for suid-files, but also for special
device files!

In Germany, there is a law for government agencies when accessing
sensitive data (e.g. personal data): The sensitive data has to be
physically present only when someone is working with it.  So people
like it to mount the floppy disk rather than read/write tar archives.

--
Written (W) 1988 by Stefan Stapelberg <stefan at mikros.uucp> Phone: +49 9352 5948