Password security

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at quintus.uucp
Sun Nov 27 17:16:01 AEST 1988

In article <517 at auspex.UUCP> guy at auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) writes:
> >>- Certain characters are untypable in passwords:  nul, newline, backspace,
> >>  and line-kill characters, and possibly ^S, ^Q, and ^M.
> >This is incorrect.  Virtually any character can be used in passwords

>certain characters *are*, in fact, untypable
>in passwords, including all the ones listed above.  Yes, Virginia, there
>are UNIX systems that don't have "literal-next".

System V has back-slash, which will quote the character-delete and line-kill
characters.  When I use a V.3 system here, I have erase=^h, kill=^u, eof=^z.
A test program which calls getpass(3) and prints the result in hex shows that
I can use all three of these characters.  But I can't use my intr or quit
characters.  I do not know whether this will work in V.2, but I expect it will.