Multiply-defined sgtty characters?

Hitoshi Aida aida at porthos.csl.sri.com
Thu Nov 10 06:39:13 AEST 1988

In article <174 at ultb.UUCP> cep4478 at ultb.UUCP (C.E. Piggott (634EEC)) writes:

>	Ultrix-32 (v. 2.4)'s Berkeley-like csh (/usr/new/csh, to be
>more precise) has a pretty weird (I think) effect in the name of file-
>name completion.
>
>	What it does is to assign an additonal character to EOF.  (Escape),
>so that stty everything yields:
>
>							eof
>							^D/^[

It's not another EOF charactor but so-called break character.
The difference between EOF charactor and break character is
EOF character is not "read" when it is typed, but break character
is included in input.  Thus break charactor is much like new-line
character than EOF.  Showing break character in pair with EOF
character is only the taste of stty command.

To clear break character
	% stty brk undef
is probably the easiest way.
--------