Setuid Shell Scripts -- Read The Whole Story Now!

Guy Harris guy at auspex.UUCP
Thu Nov 17 04:41:52 AEST 1988

>What about the csh command interpreter? Well, Sun Unix provides us with a csh
>which has a NEW option: "-b"!

Credit where credit is due; Berkeley provides that in 4.3BSD, Sun just
picked it up.

>Its goal is to avoid just the thing described above: the mnemonic for
>`b' is `break'; this option prevents following arguments of an exec of
>/bin/csh from being interpreted as options...

An early 4.3 alpha or beta Bourne shell had this, but I think they
realized that the "-" (yes, just "-") option already handled this in the
Bourne shell - just use

	#! /bin/sh -

rather than

	#! /bin/sh

However, the other problems discussed still exist, so, as you state, you
have to do more than that....