System V file systems

Derek Godfrey djg at sequent.UUCP
Tue Nov 1 02:03:39 AEST 1988

> How hard is it for an instantiation of UNIX to support multiple
> kinds of blocksizes?  I would think that keeping the blocksize in
> the superblock would make it pretty easy, so I could use 1k blocks
> for root, and (say) 8k for the /database partition with a dozen
> files all > 1MB.  Currently it seems like a big deal for them
> to come out with a new supported blocksize.

Not difficult at all since the block size field of the super block is
32 bits wide. The code needed in fs/s5 is minimal - just changing a
few case statements to an alogrithm! (assuming you'r willing to increase the
size of a system buffer) The biggest effort however is
converting all the utilities that are still using BSIZE rather then
FsBSIZE.