Insecure hardware (was Re: gets(3) nonsense)

terryl at tekcrl.CRL.TEK.COM terryl at tekcrl.CRL.TEK.COM
Wed Nov 30 04:39:33 AEST 1988

In article <1189 at cps3xx.UUCP> rang at cpswh.cps.msu.edu (Anton Rang) writes:
>One quick note here...
>
>Chris Torek (chris at mimsy.UUCP), in article 14733 at mimsy.UUCP, writes:
>>Now, if the VAX hardware had refused to execute data pages---perhaps
>>by refusing to execute any pages with user-write permission enabled---
>>the worm could not have run code off the stack.
>
>  VAX processors do have separate bits for read, write, and execute on
>each page (I seem to vaguely recall one more).  The problem lies with
>the implementation of BSD and Ultrix, which leave the stack
>executable; I can't see any reason for this offhand.

     BBBBUUUUUZZZZ!!!!! Wrong answer...

     The VAX only has read/write permissions per page, but it does have
4 different access modes per page (kernel, executive, supervisor, & user),
with each access mode having its own independent permissions per page...

Boy
Do
Hate
Inews
!!!!
!!!!

PS:
	Don't tell me about the various different ways around the infamous
"rn" included line count problem; I know all of them. I just like to complain
about fascist software!!!! (-: