Internet Virus: SunOS patches

Henry Troup hwt at bnr-public.uucp
Fri Nov 11 04:15:01 AEST 1988

The recent experience brings one thing to mind - without source,
or extensive testing of `undocumented features', it's d_mn hard
to know if your system is secure.  And, as someone pointed out, you
really need more than that - either recompile everything, or determine
somehow what options were passed to make.

In a previous incarnation, I was an IBM VM/CMS system programmer (not
employed by IBM).  I left that jobs when we started getting object-code
only distribution from IBM.  We couldn't tell what fixes were applied-
IBM couldn't even tell.  And the product in question was new and very
unstable.

Henry Troup		utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!hwt%bnr-public | BNR is not
Bell-Northern Reseach   hwt at bnr (BITNET/NETNORTH) 	     | responsible for
Ottawa, Canada		(613) 765-2337 (Voice)		     | my opinions