How to stop future viruses.

Root Boy Jim rbj at nav.icst.nbs.gov
Fri Nov 18 03:58:37 AEST 1988

? From: Peter da Silva <peter at ficc.uu.net>

? > For example, what is the shadow file called

? /etc/shadow

My first reaction is not to put it in /etc, or hide it with a dot, or
call it something weird, but that doesn't really accomplish much.

? > , what is its format,

? Same as passwd, but only the username and password are filled in.

Why not fill it all in?

? > what sort of stuff is left in the password field in /etc/passwd,

? The letter 'x'.

Here I disagree. It just announces the existence of the shadow file.
A better thing to do would be encrypt the password as usual, *and then
select a random salt* to replace the salt it was encrypted with. That
way, naive people can crack away to no avail.

I note that you are reporting things the way they *are*; my comments
are IMHO the way they *should be*.

? Peter da Silva  `-_-'  Ferranti International Controls Corporation
? "Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?"     uunet.uu.net!ficc!peter
? Disclaimer: My typos are my own damn business.   peter at ficc.uu.net

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell	(301) 975-5688
	<rbj at nav.icst.nbs.gov> or <rbj at icst-cmr.arpa>
	Crackers and Works -- Breakfast of Champions!