Writing file containing NULL byte with 'dd' to a Exabyte Tape

Mike Clarkson mike at ists
Mon Nov 14 17:15:11 AEST 1988

In article <558 at gt-eedsp.UUCP>, jensen at gt-eedsp.UUCP (P. Allen Jensen) writes:
> I have been having a problem with an exabyte tape on a Multiflow/Trace
> system.  When writing a binary file which contains bytes whose value
> is NULL, I get a tape-write error.
>
>           dd if=binary.data of=/dev/rmt5
>
> Is this because of the representation of EOF or a bug of some kind ?
> Tar and dump work fine, cp has the same problem as dd.

The exabyte uses 1024 byte fixed blocks.

Is your dd defaulting to an odd number of 512 blocks?

Try specifying bs=2b or some such incantation.

Mike.

--
Mike Clarkson					mike at ists.UUCP
Institute for Space and Terrestrial Science	mike at ists.yorku.ca
York University, North York, Ontario,		uunet!mnetor!yunexus!ists!mike
CANADA M3J 1P3					+1 (416) 736-5611