comp.security - LET'S DO IT! CALL FOR VOTES

Tony Nardo trn at aplcomm.jhuapl.edu
Tue Nov 22 04:23:56 AEST 1988

In article <32417 at bbn.COM> cosell at BBN.COM (Bernie Cosell) writes:
>In article <5493 at saturn.ucsc.edu> haynes at ucscc.UCSC.EDU (Jim Haynes) writes:
>}There is a misc.security already - don't believe there has been anything
>}in it for quite some time.
>
>[description of fact that misc.security moderator has been unable to reconnect
> to news world for 8 months...]
>Instead of rushing off to start a new newsgroup, why don't we just unmoderate
>misc.security and see how it works moving all of the security stuff OUT of
>the random newsgroups for a while.

While I'm in favor of a system security group, I an *not* in favor of an
unmoderated group.

Moderation of the group would accomplish two positive goals:

	1) help reduce S/N ratio, and
	2) keep overly-descriptive articles from being posted.

I can apprieciate the latter goal as a means of protecting the poster as well
as the rest of the Usenet community.  There are some people (myself included)
who find it difficult to describe the solution to a problem without describing
the problem itself in nit-picking detail.

Perhaps we should form comp.security with a new moderator.  I assume that we
will be discussing *computer* security, not miscellaneous security issues.

Note that the followup field is restricted to news.groups.

ARPA, BITNET:   trn at aplcomm.jhuapl.edu
UUCP:		{backbone!}mimsy!aplcomm!trn

50% of my opinions are claimed by various federal, state and local governments.
The other 50% are mine to dispense with as I see fit.